Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:55:23 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Dreamtime.net Inc." <clients@dreamtime.net>
Cc:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Vincent Janelle" <random@carnagecopia.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Systat and Ram

> Actually, we need to run anywhere from 30 to 300 httpd processes, 20-25 megs
> each. We want to know how can we decide if we need more RAM based on
> 'systat' output.

A calculator will tell you that you can't run 300 processes at 20MB each
on a machine limited to 4GB.

Watch the output of 'vmstat -s' and see whether there is activity on the
swap pager (swapping means you don't have enough RAM).

You can see the per-interval increments to the in/out values in the top
right of the 'systat -vm' display.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not