Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:52:24 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   [RFC] what do we do with picobsd ?

[i am cc-ing -small because they are interested, but please
keep the discussion on -current]

as the subject says...

The picobsd script in the tree at the moment is broken in
several ways. It may work on 4.x, but not on newer releases.

I have a fixed version (mostly the one i attached yesterday, with
a minor fix to handle the newer boot blocks) that works also
up to -current. Besides, it relies on ports/sysutils/makefs to build
the filesystem image so it can run without superuser privs.

I know it is not ideal to have a piece of code in the main tree
that depends on an external port. Yet, better than have it broken.

Now the options are:

1. do nothing and leave things broken;

2. commit the updated script, fix one or two sample targets,
   and remove the others (all of this is in src/release/picobsd)

3. remove the entire src/release/picobsd tree and move it to
   a port (question - do we want the old content of src/release/picobsd
   in ports/foo/picobsd/files ? In any case, we need a place in
   some repository to store these things)

Option #3 is probably the best one, except that the exact 'config'
files are strongly tied to the target source tree you are using,
at least for major releases (libraries differ, application name
change, etc) and so I'd need to modify the script to reach the
templates for RELENG_7, RELENG_6... if they are not already in the
target source tree.  Also, this requires a repocopy.

However given that i don't have a lot of time at the moment,
i would compromise on option #2 for the time being, and move
to option #3 at a later (but unspecified) time.

comments ?

cheers
luigi