Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:51:46 -0400
From:      "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@fdma.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Connection attempts (& active ids)

From: "Mike Silbersack" <silby@silby.com>
> Well, by listening on more ports, you're just making yourself a more
> appealing target.  As such, I don't think you're really increasing your
> security.  It's attacks on the services that you're running which matter.

who said I was listening on any ports?
icmp echo is blocked (ipfw deny)

I just parse the ipfw log for 'Reject|Deny'
Just added rules for hosts.allow also, in case you allow telnet form some
hosts and not others.

easy to implement.
register at mynetwatchman.com (get a username/password)
install the tarbal for freebsd (perl script, puts sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d)
fire up up and go away.