Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:40:39 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup glitch

In article <199711180804.JAA18647@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>,
Christoph Kukulies  <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> wrote:

> Running a cvsup gave me a mysterious error:
>
> TreeList failed: Error in "/usr/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:.": 19769: Invalid modTime

That means that your "checkouts.cvs:." file is corrupted.  It might be
a good idea to run fsck soon. :-)

> # cd /usr/sup/src-all
> # ls -l
> total 2800
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   819244 Nov 11 04:37 #cvs.cvsup-27653.0
> -rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel  2020310 Nov 18 08:53 checkouts.cvs:.
> #
>
> Well, I removed both files. Probably not a good idea.

The one beginning with "#" is a temporary file, so don't worry about
it.  Since the "checkouts.cvs:." file was corrupted, you didn't have
much choice but to delete it.  You might possibly have fixed it with
an editor, but that's not always possible if the file is badly
corrupted.

> Now cvsup is taking a deep breath for a while. I suspect it's
> fetching everything now.

It's checksumming your files in order to figure out which versions you
have.  It won't fetch everything again.

> Anyway, what should I do in case this happens again?

Next time, please save the corrupted file so that I can look at it.
Every time I have seen this problem, it's been caused by a disk error
or an untimely system crash or possibly a kernel bug.  The corrupted
files invariably have a big chunk of some completely unrelated file
splatted into them, at an offset that's a multiple of the sector size.

By the way, is your CVSup the latest version (15.2)?  The text of
the error message makes me suspect that you're running a version
that's pretty old.  If so, please consider upgrading.

John