Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:41:43 +0000 (MST)
From:      Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Joystick driver available

Christoph Kukulies writes:

> > > Thinking of possible applications (other than games) of a joy stick:
> > >
> > > Input device for X11.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how to make X see it?
> >
> > It depends on how it is implemented (and how easily XF86 would be
> > adapted)...  speaking as somebody who has done multiheaded touchscreen
>
> How would the Xaccel server (Xinside, Inc.) cope with that? (Jeremy?)

Funny you should ask - I've just been checking.

We don't want to handle this like Mice, graphics tablets and
touchscreens.  We were thinking of introducing some configuration
methods that would restrict particular devices to particular screens
(e.g. Mouse can't move from Screen 0, Digitiser only works on Screen
1, Touchscreens on Screen 0 and 2).  To handle all these different
input types, we're already planning on implementing the X Input
extension (this is *NOT* XIE - that's the X Imaging Extension).

What *we'd* like, is a common OS approach to handling Joy Sticks,
device based, with a uniform data stream.  That way, we can have a
section in our config file:

	[JOYSTICK]
		Device = "/dev/joystick";

And no more need be said (unless limiting the joystick to a single
screen of a multihead display).

The different attributes and protocol streams of a joy stick would
make this is a useful *additional* input device, rather than a
replacement.  This difference becomes more significant when we
consider 3D pointing devices, which some might think of as fancy
joysticks :-)

We were thinking of introducing the X Input extension during the
lifetime of 2.x (probably not in 2.0, since we're already loading
that with more changes than can be coherently tested :-) ).  We will
be having minor upgrades during the lifetime of 1.2, since we already
have new chipsets and warnings of new chipsets and boards that won;t
work with what we ship as 1.2.  We could *probably* introduce the X
Input extension during this phase, if we significant interest.

Given the high level of interest generated by our relatively low-key
postings about X Video, we're already shifting Video into a higher
priority slot than 3D.  Shifting the X Input priority is just another
example of us shifting priorities to meet demands.

Oh, BTW (probably not the best place to flag this, but I'll note it
anyway):

	Accelerated-X 1.2 Beta/3 will not support FreeBSD 1.1

This is because of a motherboard malfunction... If we don't see much
in the way of complaints, we might just release our 1.2 for FreeBSD
2.x and drop the 1.1 support.

> > A neat thing to do might be to make it "look" like a serial mouse (ioctl or
> > something?)....  that would allow it to be used with XF86 without any
> > further modifications.  Cool way to do it, at least for certain
> > applications.

Ouch.  This is short term useful, but won't permit a full
environment with multiple input devices...

--
Jeremy Chatfield, +1(303)470-5302, FAX:+1(303)470-5513, email:jdc@xinside.com
        X Inside Inc, P O Box 10774, Golden, CO 80401-0610, USA.