Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 10:51:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@temphost.dragondata.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, kevind@ikadega.com
Subject:   Re: NMI during procfs mem reads (#2)

> In message <200105022149.QAA00364@temphost.dragondata.com> Kevin Day writes:
> : I tried sending this from my work account, but our new exchange server isn't
> : exactly sending mail correctly... Excuse the duplicate post if you see it.
> : :)
>
> It sounds like the PCI card that you are trying to read from is
> generating the pci fault cycles to cause the bridge to generate an
> nmi.  Either that, or you have one of those handy nmi switches that
> you used to break into the debugger.
>
> Warner

The PCI target itself isn't doing anything like that, but it's possible that
the PCI-PCI bridge we're going through might be. In any case, getting the
NMI isn't really all that bad, it's stopping the chipset from getting hung
on a infinite retry. My only concern is the NMI handler while in the kernel
may be too aggressive in causing a panic.

-- Kevin