Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:57:08 -0500
From:      Mike Kerr <mkerr@kerris.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 2.1 Probe?

I've had, on occasion, difficulty with my system probing my modem.  I've
gone through the following progression:

14.4K	No problems detecting it.		(100%)
28.8K	Occasional problems detecting it.	(60%)
33.6K	Seems to refuse to detect it.		(10%)

The percentages is an estimate of how often it will work.  Each time the
modem has been configured to COM3 (sio2) on IRQ 4, with the standard 3e8
base address.

It's getting *really* frustrating.  I've even tried changing the IRQ on
this latest attempt to IRQ 3, but it still won't detect it.  The machine
I'm running is a 386DX-40 with 8M RAM.

Is anybody aware of any incompatibilities with 386 motherboards and fast
COM ports, or if the probe has problems, or if there is a way I can
bypass the probe to get the thing to work?

Oddly enough, if I boot into my DOS partition and use something like
Telemate, it works fine.

Mike.