Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:47:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard drive mount points damaged - reinstall to fix?

> > Is there a way to overwrite the /dev entries and mount points on the
> damaged
> > drive, reinstall system files, but still preserve my user data?
>
> I guess you could boot a fixit disk, mount your hard drive on it, and
> then rebuild...

Except I couldn't mount. There was too many errors on the drive. What I
-was- able to do was first fix the slices, first with "fsck -b 32" and
then with simply "fsck". I was not able to reinstall again. Perhaps
there is some permanent damage to the drive. I -was- able to copy all
important data to a new drive. "Whew!".