Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 97 14:59:47 -0500
From:      <dwoodward@intraserve.com>
To:        Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam from rival

> From: Peter Hawkins            \ Internet:    (peter@clari.net.au)
>
> Subject: Spam from rival
>
> Today an New York based ISP spammed our entire customer base. The
> culprits are:" Easyway Communications,Inc. (www.easyway.net)
>
> I sent them a bill for the delivery of the mail (which I'm sure they
> will ignore)

> a) what more can I do?
> b) is it possible for us to treat such people by collectively routing
>    their IPs to lo0 ?
>
> Peter

You may have allowed them to obtain most of your client's email
addresses list by leaving in.fingerd in your inetd.conf file!

I suggest you:

A) "rem" it out of inetd.conf or
B) use tcpd and block access via /etc/hosts.deny to all but "trusted"
   domains or.
C) Filter TCP port 79 at your router.

Remember the key question is: How did they get your client's addresses?
The Finger daemon is your most likely cause.

Try: finger @clari.net.au and see what you get.

If you are running in.fingerd with the -w command you are telling the
whole world alot more than they need to know about your system.

Doug Woodward
IntraServe Technologies Inc.
New Westminster, B.C. Canada

Email: dwoodward@intraserve.com