Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Juli Mallett <juli@clockworksquid.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Unbreaking ports with n64 MIPS.

Hi Juli,

I'd be fine with mips64 and mips64eb being the same, and moving from the =
former to the latter as the uname reported value. I almost did it when I =
was doing the stuff, but the pedants were against me and I didn't have =
any good amo to push back at them.  This would be a good reason.  The =
code was a little simpler when I always specified the eb on the end for =
all mips ports, so there's some tricks in the tree to keep expressions =
from getting too gross you'll have to watch out for.

As for IRIX, n32 binaries were run on it, but there never was a n32 =
kernel that I recall.  It was just a funky ABI that you could compile =
your programs to if they had problems with the n64 ABI.  So the OS =
didn't report anything special there.  Our notion of an n32 kernel is =
historically a bit funkadelic.

Warner