Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        spage@freeside.scsd.k12.ny.us (Eric Scott Page)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems

> I have just installed BSD and i'm having a couple of problems. BSD will
> not boot properly unless i have my installation CD in the CD-ROM. I get
> the message "filesystem mount failed, startup aborted
> 	     enter pathname of shell or RETURN for SH"

You have your cdrom listed in /etc/fstab.  Leave a CD in the drive when
you boot or you'll always see this message.  You could also remove the
offending line from /etc/fstab.

> I also have a problems when using XWindows. It does not recognize my mouse,
> therefore the mouse pointer just sits there. I'm not sure if i'm setting
> the mouse type in XF86Config to the correct type for looking for the
> device in the /dev directory. I have a Microsoft Mouse on my Gateway 486DX
> computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It wouldn't happen to be a PS/2-style or bus mouse?  If so, neither is
supported inthe GENERIC kernel.  You'll have to compile a custom kernel
to use either style.  Look in /sys/i386/conf/LINT for examples.  Also,
check out the FAQ and FreeBSD handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/) - I
beleive this is covered fairly well.

If it's a serial mouse, it'll be on /dev/ttyd[0-3], depending on which
port it's plugged in to.