Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:50:07 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache won't do CGI

Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm running Apache 1.1.1 on two FreeBSD 2.1.5 Release mahines. One works
> > Just Fine, the other will not run any CGI scripts.
> > When I attempt to run a CGI script I get:
> >
> > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi: Can't open
> > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi
> > [Sun Oct 20 17:51:18 1996] access to /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi
> > failed for scully.barcode.co.il, reason: Premature end of script headers
>
> Perhaps there is some problem with your CGI script crashing before it
> finishes.  Apache picks this up and returns the error.

The problem seems to be that it is a script (not a binary). If I use a
binary (i.e. a compiled C program) for the script it runs fine, but
FreeBSD seems to have trouble with inrterpreted scripts. Even if I run a
C program that exec's a shell (or perl) script, the script simply won't
start. It seems as if when the interpreter (sh/perl, etc.) gets started
it can't find the script it's supposed to run. This really puzzles me.
It looks as if Apache does something to break execve/execle, at least as
far as interpreted scripts go.

> > Already tried reinstalling, copying the conf directory from the working
> > machine, fiddling with security settings etc., to no avail.
>
> Did you check permissions on the script and other files?

Yes. Also, using a compiled program works. See above.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've already spent a few nights on
that :-(

Nadav