Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:15:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, Gilbert Gong <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

On 20-Dec-01 Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
>> If you think that I'm going to try to work on the
>> FreeBSD kernel using Visual C++ on a Windows box
>> because you think that is the best desktop
>> environment for me to use, then you must be
>> smoking some serious stuff.  You are saying that
>> the desktop software (X) that can be run on
>> FreeBSD is not appropriate for ANY use by ANY person.
>
> My perspective, as a programmer, is that (a) there's a difference between a
> desktop and a development machine and (b) you should always try to develop
> on the platform you're developing for.  By that reasoning, no I do not think
> you should use Visual C++ to develop for FreeBSD, although I have written
> portable apps in VC++ that compile nicely under FreeBSD as well.  I didn't
> say that X wasn't useful to some people.  I said that it is my opinion that
> it does not make a good desktop, and it's existance doesn't make FreeBSD a
> desktop OS.  If the inclusion of 3rd party desktop software makes an OS
> considered a "desktop OS", then I suppose we could call HURD a desktop OS as
> well, along with any bare kernel that can support X.  I consider a desktop
> OS to be a little more than a kernel that can execute X.

I think desktop OS is misnomer.  UI and OS are two separate things, regardless
of how much MS ties the two together. :)  And you have said that you think
FreeBSD is not a viable desktop for specific circumstances.  That is equivalent
to it not being valid for _any_ circumstance.  Saying it is valid for specific
circumstances is saying that it isn't necessarily appropriate for all
circumstances, but there are instances where it is, which is what I think you
really think as well.  Hmm, and I should s/FreeBSD/X/.  FreeBSD can tweak
certain things to make it desktop environment friendly, but X is really the
desktop.