Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 03:53:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates... the sequel

Greg Lehey wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > On Saturday, 11 December 1999 at  2:41:56 -0500, Agent Drek wrote:
 > > I would like to know if I should run this code on a production
 > > machine.  I've been told that this message is probably just out of
 > > date but ...
 >
 > It's out of date.  However, we have seen some strange crashes with
 > soft updates, and I'm not convinced that they're not due to soft
 > updates.  Having said that, I'm writing this message on my laptop with
 > soft updates enabled.

Just another data point:  Our university's web proxy is a
FreeBSD 3-stable box with soft-updates enabled.  It has to
stand a pretty good load, the current uptime is 53 days.
It is only shut down to plug in another disk or to upgrade
the OS.  (It is a Pentium-II-450, 512 Mbyte RAM (ECC),
30 Gbyte HD space.)

I have to confess that, in the beginning, we had stability
problems, but that was because the machine ran out of MBUFs.
Watching "netstat -m" and increasing NMBCLUSTERS fixed the
problem, and the box is running happily ever since.  And it
is bloody fast, thanks to soft-updates.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)