Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:47:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        "Andrew N. Edmond" <edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many open files in System!

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Andrew N. Edmond wrote:

> 	 error on accept: Too many open files in system
>
> I set CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX to 4098 in the kernel, and I can't find a way
> to get accept to open any more sockets.  Any ideas?

This seems to be a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question).  Unfortunately, it
seems to seems to also be a NAQ (Never Answered Question).  I myself have
asked it several times and the answers, involving CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX
and limits, never work.  Apparently, FreeBSD is too primitive to handle
more than a few files at once.

(please realize the above is an intentional goad to get SOMEONE to finally
answer this.  I love FreeBSD :) )