Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 18:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don Croyle: make world failing at ppp install (again)

> Rodney W. Grimes writes:
>  > Running ppp does _NOT_ *requires* write access to the routing table,
>  > this is much much much better handled by properly configuring
>  > a real routing daemon and running real routing protocols.
>
> Requiring every user who wants to use FreeBSD PPP as a simple
> single-user workstation with a dial-up ISP account, or even as a simple
> router, to understand routing protocols and gated will guarantee that
> many will just go elsewhere.
>
> While I don't disagree with you about the capability of gated, losing
> the simple routing capabilities of ppp would be a stupid move.

A person using FreeBSD as a simple single user workstation has root
access, and does not have the problem that is attempted to being
fixed.  Duplicating the equiv of /sbin/route in ppp IMHO,
is just silly, adds yet another place that has to be mucked with
when the kernel/user land routing interface changes, etc.

What I am more concerned about is server side ppp and the security
whole that has just been bandaided over via group network instead
of totally eliminated by removal of route calls.

There is no how no way I want _any_ user other than root in _any_ group
munging around with routing tables on a ppp server!

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD