Date:      Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:32:31 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Duros <Emmanuel.Duros@udcast.com>
To:        jpeg@thilelli.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Hans Nieser <hans@nieser.net>, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: re0: 2 link states coalesced.

We got recently a feedback from realtek on our problem. We told them the
link status was constantly "no carrier" (FreeBSD) and "cable
disconnected" (windows) when the card was connected directly to some
specific equipment (no switch nor hub in between). We did not have the
pb when using an other NIC (100Mbps or 1Gbps) instead of the realtek
one, the status was ok.

We finaly sent to realtek this specific equipment that is a satellite
modem integrating a 10/100Mbps NIC. Realtek investigated and discovered
it is was that device that was not generating a correct signaling.
Realtek sent to us an updated windows driver and we do not have anymore
the problem under windows. :-(

Below is realtek's technical conclusions:

--
Regarding the problem for MS-7065 Gigabit and Linkstar Viasat (include
xpc 855tzp80d4 add intel lxt971alc A4 (PHY) compliant issue),

After testing, this problem was the Link down power saving mode  of
Linkstar INTEL PHY didn˙t meet the standard spec. (No matter if it is
under link down mode, TX needs to send signals to link partners, but it
seems part of INTEL chip TX didn˙t send out signals, and only used RX
for link partner detection. As for the INTEL PHY determination, it is
not able to detect.)

In this case, when we enable the link down power saving mode, the INTEL
PHY can˙t recognize the signal of our LAN chip and failed to link. When
we disable the link down power saving mode, it will work normally. We
also tested Broadcom / INTEL NIC, both of them worked fine because the
power down saving mode was disable in default settings or maybe it does
not even support link down power saving mode. The setting of Marvell
chip is the same, so it also failed to link.

Please check with Linkstar or your customer to see if it is possible to
adjust INTEL PHY setting and disable the LDPS mode to solve this
problem, thank you.
--

Best regards,
Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Duros                  http://www.udcast.com
2455 Route des Dolines BP355  | Tel : +33 (0)4 93 00 16 60