Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:49:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu (Jeremy Sigmon)
Subject:   Re: partitions vs filesystems

As Jeremy Sigmon wrote:

> A friend of mine just installed Redhat Linux to play with it.  He told
> me that you need to create separate partitions/file system for it. I know in
> FreeBSD I just create one partiton per drive and make my filesystems there.
> Does anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages to creating a partition per
> file system vs one partition and multiple file systems?

You're also using one partition per filesystem in FreeBSD.  It's only
that BSD follows the `classic' Unix tradition to have a disklabel (and
thusly partition table) of its own.  When being moved onto the PeeCee,
it's been faced with an already existing partitioning scheme there.
It has first ignored this one (386BSD 0.0), later tweaked its own idea
so that it could at least handle being put into a single `partition'
from a machine's point of view (386BSD 0.1 through FreeBSD 2.0), and
finally fully integrated the PeeCee partitioning scenario as well
(FreeBSD 2.0.5).  In order to distinguish between BSD and PeeCee
partitions, the latter are being called `slices' in FreeBSD.

PC Unix systems that have grown up on the PC hardware were more
familiar with PC partitioning schemes to begin with, and haven't
developed a partitioning scheme of its own (Minix, Linux, maybe also
Coherent).  I dunno how Linux handles partitioning e.g. on the Alpha.

You can still operate FreeBSD in the old Unix way where it owns the
entire disk, so the fdisk table (though basically present) becomes
moot.  That's what we call ``dangerously dedicated'' mode.

I'm sure Bruce will correct some of the opinions stated here. :-)

--
cheers, J"org