Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:39:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Transparent Proxy

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> I'm trying to deploy a transparent proxy server for a friend's office but have
> run into a couple of snags that I can't seam to find the correct answer for.

a) Draw a diagram,
b) Check IPFW rules (tcpdump is your friend),
c) Check out transproxy...

A) and b) were suggested by others...  The few times I've done this, it
/really/ helped to have a clear diagram (that you understand) of what's
going on.  Then you can double-check your rulechain and ensure everything
makes sense.

For c), see /usr/ports/www/transproxy...  From pkg-descr:

transproxy - transparently proxy HTTP requests.
This program is used with ipfw's fwd rules or Darren Reed's IPFILTER
package, and is used to intercept HTTP requests and divert them to a
HTTP proxy server (eg: squid), without requiring user intervention or
configuration.
<snip>

The last time I set this up, I used transproxy and (after getting my ipfw
rules right) things worked great.  (Just make sure you're using the
/usr/ports/www/squid port, I.e. Squid 2.5.x.)

-m