Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:23:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jonathan@graehl.org (Jonathan Graehl)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-Arch)
Subject:   Re: ftpd SITE MD5 and "really bad links"

> If the probability of errors (which pass 32-bit-1s-complement muster)
> on the net route between the client and FTP server is as high as once
> in a gigabyte, then SITE MD5 could save lives, not just make life
> easier for ports people.

This is a specious argument.  Such errors would occur only in the
event that the file was transferred.  A SITE MD5 would come out
correct, and the error would occur anyway during subsequent file
transfer.

Which make me think of a good use for /dev/random: put it out
there as an mp3 file named for a Metallica song, and lie about
it's size.  8-).

The cryptographic value of the SITE MD5 is nonexistant, as we
all already agree; at best, it's cryptographically misleading
to users who will equate it with security.

It seems to me that it _might_ have limited utility in the case
of a post-download verification of the file contents, in the
case where you don't have a precalculated MD5 on hand, and you
don't trust your transport to not have one of those near-magical
errors that you describe (above).

This wouldn't be useful in the "ports" case, since it doesn't
care _why_ the MD5 failed, only that it invalidates the file
from consideration (since the ports mechanism _is_ a security
mechanism, based on the trust of the /usr/ports hierarchy you
are using for the install).

So the new limited utility would be:

	1)	download the file
	2)	SITE HASH MD5 foo
	3)	compare the local hash to the site hash
	4)	tell the user the 9 Terabytes they just
		spent the better part of their life
		downloading are "no good": sorry, there
		is a 4 bit error in that copy of "Sweet
		Child of Mine" that you just got from the
		mp3.com site.

If you want to implement it for post-download checking, go
ahead.  Realize that any FTP server where I'm forced to
support it, however, will be operating off of cached data,
and it will be a cold day in hell before I let you DOS-attack
my FTP server with the frigging thing operating on demand.

I think your time would be better spent fixing the protocols
you distrust, so that it would be unnecessary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.