Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:51:37 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Hunter Peress <hfastjava@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BitTorrent Mirror of 5.0

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:20:01PM -0800, Hunter Peress wrote:

> > Steps to getting the community to use this:
> >=20
> > 1) Make a working port.  I tried to port bittorrent once, but
> > something (don't remember what) failed to compile.
> BT is in python and hence requires no compilation. MAYBE you are talking =
about
> wxpython, which requires wxwindows and that might be where your error was.

I don't recall, other than that I was following the included build
instructions.

> > 2) Post to FreeBSD lists to announce your BT mirror when releases are
> > made.  Mention why people might want to try it this way instead of
> > using ftp which they already understand and love.
>=20
> That IS exactly what I did, that is exactly why you are responding to me =
right now.
> This current email that I am writing is part of a thread that was started=
 for this
> exact purpose.

You omitted step 1, which is needed before you'll get any significant
community buy-in (only the most dedicated people are going to manually
download and build it on their own).  Also, -chat is not really the
best list for this..for example, it would be on-topic for -stable or
-current and you'd reach your target audience there.

Kris

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--