Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:13:21 +0000
From:      Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   old version of PAM in 3.0-stable  stopping Samba working?

I have been trying for the last day or so to get samba 2.00 to work with 3.0
stable. It appears to me that the PAM code has come straight out of Linux but
has  not been kept upto date.  From the samba documentation you should have
entries of the form.

samba auth    required        pam_pwdb.so nullok shadow
samba account required        pam_pwdb.so

in /etc/pam.conf. However,  as pam_pwdb.so does not exist in the FreeBSD
implementation the above can't be used. I tried

samba   auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
samba   auth    required        pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass
samba   account requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
samba   account required        pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass

but all I got was an unresolved symbol error for pam_sm_acct_mgmt from the pam
library.

Is the PAM library out of date or am I doing something wrong?

Chris