Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 23:24:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com (Gary Palmer), current@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: wcarchive down

> As I also recall, I offered a 386sx/16 at one point in the past to "the
> Cause".  This machine can be outfitted with a little extra circuitry to
> provide a hardware reset output.  I will donate a 2-port 16550 card for this
> box, and one for wcarchive, if need be, and a cable.  You then wire the
> serial ports together, and the 386sx/16 has console control over wcarchive.
> The 386sx/16 can reset wcarchive.  From this perspective, you can do
> ANYTHING to wcarchive that does not require physical hardware muckymuck.

Yes, you did offer that and I'm still grateful for the offer.  I
haven't taken you up on that offer yet due to the twin reasons of
severe time pressure (we haven't been thinking much about it lately,
though it's always somewhere in the back of my mind) and basically my
disenchantment with the whole idea of adding an entire extra machine
to do this.  Where this arrangement with wcarchive and BARRNET is
concerned, the simpler the solution the better!  I don't want another
machine to manage and worry about if I can help it, and the solution
we've come up with is rather more simplistic.

What I'm going to do is get a cheap cellular phone and a basic rate
service with a local provider (I've verified good reception at that
location with my own cell phone) and hook it to a ready-built DTMF
decoder of the type various HAM enthusiasts use to control remote
repeaters (in fact, I count on buying it at the local HAM shack), and
we're going to reset that baby by calling it up and punching numbers
at it.

It's cheap, it's simple, it can be literally bolted to the side of the
existing system (we'll work out something creative - there's even room
inside some of the disk cases; we could run a wire out to the CPU
module.. :-)

						Jordan