Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:51:35 -0500
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <ports@freebsd.org>, Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile Makefile.man pkg-plist pkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 ports/x11/XFree86-4/files patch-2 patch-c patch-c2 patch-d patch-f patch-i810 patch-j patch-k patch-mouse patch-r128 patch-r128dri patch-r128xmesa patch-shm ...

On Saturday 16 March 2002 22:23, you wrote:
> I don't know the details of how the subports build only the relevant
> bits, so you might also need a cleanup step as well to normalize the
> contents of that WRKSRC.

Eeewwww. Ugly Imake voodoo, together with very careful munging of the values
that go into xf86site.def, IIRC. The generated Makefile at the top level
might have a 'something-clean'-type target to do it. I wouldn't trust trying
to do it outside of the XFree86 make framework though (i.e., manually).

> Or you could just force the subports to do 'make clean' after
> building, which would be less efficient than preserving the extracted
> source, but possibly less fragile.

At what point do you do that? It can't be a post-install: target, or you'll
break 'make reinstall' and 'make package'. That is, at what point can you
assume the user is done, and yet have that point be guaranteed to be reached?
I think it's impossible.

You could do a pre-extract: to make clean, I guess, but that only makes sense
if they all use a common work dir. That is, you could do:

WRKDIR!=	cd ${PORTSDIR}/x11/XFree86-4 && make -V WRKDIR

pre-extract:
	${RM} -fr ${WRKDIR}
	${MKDIR} ${WRKDIR}

What are you reactions to that idea? (Please, no explicit references to
evacuative bodily functions.)

--
AlanE
"When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro." - HST