Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:57:27 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl net.link.vlan.link.proto

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:13:42PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:

> I'm working on modernizing the vlan device (making it loadable,
> unloadable, and clonable) and I've run into this sysctl.

This shoud allow you to move the check for 802.1q packets down into
the normal ether_demux() which classifies packets based on ethertype.

The former code was a check right above the main switch statement in
ether_demux() because it was a sysctl, not a constant.

I have some other patches around that ease the interrupt-time requirements
by scheduling a NETISR for vlan traffic.  I wasn't ever sure if that was
a true win, so I didn't contrib them.  I could dig them up if you're
really interested in spiffing up the VLAN code. ;-)

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn <csg@waterspout.com>   |   Waterspout Communications, Inc.