Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:34:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp incoming question

How come, when you're setting up an incoming (user ppp) connection, you
have to use a /usr/local/bin/ppplogin script?  The script just invokes
"ppp -direct incoming", and I wonder why you couldn't just edit that
line into the shell field of the passwd (via vipw).  Would there be some
kind of permission problem?  I'm thinking of doing something like that,
with chap user IDing, so I wouldn't need separate logins, and I'd want
to eliminate any intervening files if I can.

If I _have_ to have the file, what permissions and what user/group
should be set on the file?

BTW, I got all this from the ppp manpage.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).