Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 20:25:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MAGICFILTER problems ...

Dear Sirs.
I hope this message is been read by someone ... I think it is not
a pure "magicfilter"-problem, but something related.

We drive all of our printers with magicfilter with great success.
Since the last weekend we changed the configuration, means, I
changed several harddrives on the specific machine and installed
a new FreeBSD with all the stuff needed to operate well. And I took
the previous config files out of /etc /usr/local/etc and
libexec, also for magicfilter.

After installing all the necessary stuff like a2ps and so on I
get a lot of errors they tell me, that the printing system/magicfilter
isn't able to load fixps. fixps is well installed in /usr/local/bin
and fully accessible! After making a link into /usr/bin all things
worked fine again, but this is not a good solution.

How to pass through the environment to the lpr-subsystem and for
that magicfilter to find its appropriate tools? I have already set
up PATH and a lot of other stuff in /etc/login.conf to come along
with that path-problem - but after lpr gets its environment, it
soes not pass it through to a2ps to find fixps and so on. These
programs obviously use a standard path and this seems to be
/usr/bin including. But there are lost of other programs needed
by several filter mechachnisms ... Any help?

Thanks ...

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)