Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 09:48:21 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: improving bootstrapping of WITH_CLANG_IS_CC

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 03:43:39AM -0500, Warner Losh wrote:
>=20
> On Sep 10, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > .if ${COMPILER_TYPE} !=3D "clang"
> >=20
> > I'd like to commit this in the next few days unless there are objections
> > requiring a major redesign.
>=20
> Due to other $LIFE happening, I just scanned the patch, but I really like=
 it.
>=20
> I'd also propose a COMPILER_VERSION variable be reserved so that can be s=
et so that variations in compiler versions can be comprehended in the tree =
to allow easier external toolchain support as well.  I have no impl for thi=
s yet, but just thought I'd put a bug in people's ear.

I think we'll likely want something like or a COMPILER_FEATURES
variable eventually.  For the moment I'm avoiding implementing it to
avoid the problems associated with generalizing from no examples.

One of the ideas we talked about at the devsummit was allowing external
toolchains to provide a makefile to drive things like CFLAGS for WARNS.
I think this would be a very good approach since it could allow a much
broader range of compilers without necessarily requiring FreeBSD
developers to know about all the possible variants.

-- Brooks

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI--