Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:14:59 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Mail List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux binary mode / possl package

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 11:39:16PM -0700, Bill Barnes wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> General question - is the linux mode specific to a
> linux version, e.g., 2.0.x+, 2.2.x+.  or is it
> transparent?
I'm just am amatuer in this but having some experience
running Linux stuff under FreeBSD it seems to me that if you
have a program which requires a specific version of Linux it
would have more to do with the libraries than the kernel.

> To be specific - 'Panther' from Prolifics (
> www.possl.org ) lists RedHat 6.0 and SuSE 6.4 as
> supported platforms and maybe others.  It requires
> Open Motif 2.1.30.  I would expect it to be a problem
> on SuSE 7.1.
> It is open source so could be compiled, I suppose, for
> FreeBSD?

I would expect so..
I have installed a number of applications which are not
in the FreeBSD ports. They seemed to compile and install
without too many problems.