Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:57:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Moving between Mylex cards?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone ever moved a RAID config from say an AcceleRAID 150 to an
> > > ExtremeRAID 1100 or 2000? I talked to Mylex and they say there _shouldn't_
> > > be a problem. With COD (configuration on disk) the RAID config should be
> > > automatically recognized and work like before...
> > >

> > There is definately no problem if you're using a RAID1 (mirroring)
> > array.  You can even take a unit out of a RAID1 array and attach it to
> > a standard SCSI controller and it will work fine.
>
>   And you've done that?  That will not work on most controllers, because
> of the config on disk.  It is stored on the beginning of each disk.
> Since I can move disks from channel to channel and id to id, and the
> controller still knows which physical disks belong to which logical disk
> set, I would have to say that you are going to have a problem.

Twice.  Once with an AMI MegaRAID Enterprise 1200 along time ago, and
once with a Mylex AcceleRAID 170 fairly recently.  I'm not sure where
the on-disk configuration is stored, but apparently it is someplace
that doesn't affect things when attached to a standard controller.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet