Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:48:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      bob@obiwan.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
To:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Proper procedure to partition/label disk now?

Paul Richards wrote:

> > I fear that they are going to be a concern to users as they convert
> > from 1.1.5 or 2.0 to 2.1.  Lots of folks will think something is
> > broken when they see these messages.
> >

> Well, I mentioned this before and there was silence but I want to rewrite
> the MBR and bootblocks when 2.1 installs itself so we can fix all the
> bogus MBR's out there and also update the partition tables to the
> new standard.

I think thats a good idea!  My 1.1.5.1 system has 14 disks on it
and I don't look forward to the raft of error messages.  :-(

> There's technically no reason why it can't be done but people do get very
> uptight when you mess with these things.

Yep.  There is the risk that it may go awry in some environment and do
damage, I suppose.  But, I would still support doing it.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@obiwan.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)