Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:53:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Threads in Java on a variety of platforms

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Nate Williams wrote:
> Except that these will never be used in the 'stock' FreeBSD kernel
> because of the GPL virus.  Second, it's alot of work to rewrite the system
> for another threading model.  The code (as written) is coded to run
> either with green threads, or with native (Posix) threads.

I'm wondering whether it's worth the FreeBSD porter's time to advocate
that the core Java JVM could adopt the threading API in Apache's APR
library (see http://apr.apache.org/)  It acts as an abstraction layer over
native thread implementations, as well as pthreads, IIRC.  I'm not a
developer on that project so I don't have the technical details.  It may
provide portability for a number of other functions as well.  And the
licensing is standard Apache license, so it can be integrated into the
non-open-source JVM without a problem.

	Brian