Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:24:00 -0800
From:      freebsd@bitfreak.org
To:        John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDTRACE is gone?

John Birrell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:09:21PM -0800, Cai, Quanqing wrote:
>> Today when I tried to compile my customized kernel, I run "config"
>> command and got this: unknown option "KDTRACE".
>>
>> Who can tell me what's going on?
>
> The KDTRACE option can't work the way I intended it to because
> of licensing restrictions.

Which restrictions do you see preventing the distribution of a
DTRACE-enabled GENERIC kernel binary?  I would refer you to sections
3.1, 3.4 and 3.5 of the license[1], which state:

- the CDDL is mandatory on the source code distribution;
- the original copyright notice for the original work must be displayed;
- binary distributions of CDDL-licensed software may be relicensed;

The requirement for the last is that the new license not conflict with
the CDDL.  The CDDL doesn't otherwise restrict use, modification or
distribution and includes the ability to sublicense the original code as
well as and derived works.

Someone please point out the conflict.  I don't see one.