Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:17:41 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFQ] make witness panic an option

On 11/14/12 10:15 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When debugging and writing wireless drivers/stack code, I like to
> sprinkle lots of locking assertions everywhere. However, this does
> cause things to panic quite often during active development.
>
> This patch (against stable/9) makes the actual panic itself
> configurable. It still prints the message regardless.
>
> This has allowed me to sprinkle more locking assertions everywhere to
> investigate whether particular paths have been hit or not. I don't
> necessarily want those to panic the kernel.
>
> I'd like everyone to consider this for FreeBSD-HEAD.
>
> Thanks!

Adrian, you seem be getting reluctance on your patch which is surprising
since we have "witness_kdb" option which pretty much does exactly what
you want...

...except where you need it to.  That is unfortunate.

Perhaps if you switched those panics to a WITNESS_WARN that would do
what you need/want?

You could pass a special flag into WITNESS_WARN that said "i'm going to
pass you a NULL ptr for lock object... just behave as if there was an
error".

that should make things more concise.

Will that be sufficient?

-Alfred