Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:47:01 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>, "Jamie Bowden" <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        <angussf@geoapps.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

At 12:14 PM 11/12/1999 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:

 > You're high.  It doesn't matter if there are other accompanying reasons.
> > Abuse of power is abuse of power.  They crushed Netscape for no other
> > reason than because Netscape didn't want to play in MS's sandbox.
>
>         Yes, and they crushed it by putting out a superior product. What is wrong
>with that?

What's wrong with that is that it's a lie. IE is not a superior product.
Witness the devastating security holes -- approximately one per WEEK --
which are being found in it.

Netscape was crushed via predatory pricing and foreclosure of distribution
channels for its products. The Findings of Fact, available at

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm

document this in great detail.

> > It's
> > the same thing they attempted to do to Quicken years ago.
>
>         Yes, and the failed. Do you know why? Because Quicken was _better_ than
>Microsoft's product. Even Microsoft can't force consumers to buy something
>that doesn't do what they want.

Had Microsoft engaged in the same tactics it used to destroy Netscape, it
could have made Money succeed. However, it did not see Quicken as a threat
to its operating system monopoly, so it did not apply the full brunt of
its monopoly leverage. Had Microsoft bundled Money with every copy of Windows,
locked Quicken out of the market, and spent hundreds of millions of dollars
on Money, you can bet the outcome would have been different.

> > MS has not
> > changed, and will not change unless forced.
>
>         Of course not. And thanks to them, we have an incredibly competitive
>computer software industry.

No -- thanks to them, many companies have opted NOT to compete, and consumers
have suffered as a result.

> > They are getting their just
> > deserts.  The stuff coming out of the Caldera/DRI suit is just more
> > showing of how MS either buys it's competition, or leverages it's power to
> > make them irrelevant.  That is in fact harmful to the indusrty and
> > consumers.
>
>         Harmful to the industry? You mean harmful to companies that try to sell
>inferior products and technology.

Microsoft is most especially harmful to companies which develop SUPERIOR products
and technology.

Say, David: you wouldn't happen to be part of Microsoft's "astroturf" team,
would you?

--Brett Glass