Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2017 09:38:30 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Panic on boot after upgrade from r320827 -> r320869

--Ftwx2AbF8guY0WoT

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 08:32:26AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > While O. Hartmann had written to indicate the he had identified r320844
> > as the culprit, and I had other reason to suspect it, I was a bit busy
> > at work yesterday, and unable to determine this for myself empirically.
> >
> > I went ahead and updated my "head" sources to r320884 (without
> > attempting to revert r320844), while running head @r320827.
> >
> > On reboot, I (again) had a panic on the laptop that looked similar
> > to the one from yesterday (r320869).
> >
> > On the build machine, however, I encountered the "mountroot" issue that
> > O. Hartmann had described.
> > Is there anything else I might be able to do to help resolve this?
> >
>=20
> Try building a kernel without sdhci in it.
>=20
> It's looking like the scans for ata devices are returning errors on the
> desktop machine you have, which shouldn't have been happening.
>=20
> Also, can you try a 100% clean build of GENERIC to make sure there's not a
> meta-mode bug?
>=20
> Warner

In thinking about the order of operations, it occurred to me that
trying the last option first would make sense, so I did that (cleared
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC, then re-built and -installed the
kernel).

And the build machine came up in multi-user mode:

FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #404  r3=
20884M/320891:1200038: Tue Jul 11 09:12:03 PDT 2017     root@freebeast.catw=
hisker.org:/common/S4/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I'll call that "success" and stop while I'm ahead. :-)

Thanks!

Peace,
david
--=20
POTUS impeachment requires Congress buy-in.  First, fix Congress, THEN impe=
ach.

--Ftwx2AbF8guY0WoT

--Ftwx2AbF8guY0WoT--