Date:      22 Dec 1998 16:48:41 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK1.1.7.V98-12-21 released

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
> >  1) install the source code under ${PREFIX}/jdk1.1.7/src instead of
> >     leaving it packed
>
> This is how Sun distributes it.  The sources are (IMO) not much good to
> have around, especially unpacked.  It would also make the distribution
> *much* bigger.

No it wouldn't. The sources are already there. It would only add one
line to the Makefile (and a dependency on unzip).

As to the claim about the sources not being much good, well, they're
the best documentation there is. I've frequently had to refer to the
sources because neither my library reference nor Sun's online
documentation adequately documented the semantics of some methods.
This is particularly true of higher-level classes; StreamTokenizer is
one example that springs to mind.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no