Date:      Mon, 5 May 2014 18:17:59 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to overlay "local ports" directories onto ports tree, build with poudriere?

Hi,

In /usr/src/Makefile.inc1, there is a variable:

LOCAL_DIRS="list of dirs" to add additional dirs to the SUBDIR list"

By appending to LOCAL_DIRS, you can add your
own directories to the list of things that "make buildworld" will build.

Is there an equivalent trick in the ports tree?

The reason why I am asking is as follows.
I am migrating the FreeNAS build to use poudriere.
In FreeNAS we have:
     (1)  Our own copy of the FreeBSD ports tree, which is branched from
           the main FreeBSD ports tree
     (2)  A list of our own local ports

In order to get poudriere to build all of these ports, I found that it
was necessary
to:
    (1)  Take our FreeBSD ports tree
    (2)  Copy directories from our own local ports tree, into the
FreeBSD ports tree
    (3)  Take the combined tree created in (2), and pass that as an argument to
           poudriere

I would like to eliminate step (2).  Instead of copying, I tried to nullfs
mount our local ports into the FreeBSD ports tree, and then pass that
as an argument to poudriere.  However, when poudriere created the jails,
the local ports didn't seem to be visible in the ports tree used by the jails.

Is there a better way to overlay a list of local ports onto the
main FreeBSD ports tree, without copying files?

Thanks.
--
Craig