Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:16:03 -0600
From:      Richard Seaman <dick@tar.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Update on Linux Threads patches

The information at http://lt.tar.com has been updated somewhat.

The most important changes are these:

1) The linuxthreads "port" did not work correctly with the
patches incorporated into FreeBSD-current under the option
COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS.  I had accidentally deleted the code
that permitted the ports to work without the "growable stack"
patches.  The port has been fixed.

This had no effect on linux threads running in emulation
mode.

2) It appears that the linux libraries included in the
ports/emulators/linux_lib are buggy.  I'm not sure if the
problem is in glibc or libpthreads.  These are apparently
not the latest versions.

The problem is that linux threads internal structures don't
get freed when threads exit.  Since there is a limit of
1024 threads, once you have created that many threads you
can't create any more, even if some (or all) of the thread
you created have been destroyed.

The problem is fixed by installing updated linux libraries,
such as those that accompany StarOffice 5.0.

--
Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450