Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 20:48:11 -0400
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        steve@cioeserv.cioe.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: chfn configurable?

    Steve> Right now a user seems to be limited to shell, location,
    Steve> home phone and work phone. I'd like to also allow changing
    Steve> of some other fields.

Like what?  User id?  I'd change mine to the value of some other user
and read his/her files---or to zero and be root.  Group id?  Same
problem.  Password expiration?  Might be nice, but not recommended.

If security really isn't a problem, you could hack the chfn source or
write your own extended passwd entry editor.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

Twitch a lot.
-- One of 120 ways to annoy your roommate.