Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2016 15:10:55 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digi Watchport/T temperature sensor as /dev/ttyU
References:  <1469306951.84197.31.camel@freebsd.org> <20160724080330.3a27e875.ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <20160724083859.4c0dd392@ernst.home> <20160724105134.184f0b7f.ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <1469379334.84197.40.camel@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1tUg0GeNn6hkO9NPKyKO2z58erzOYT3PkYSQ1yiX0t0Gg@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfoVnZHmmvNcrJgaZ2k8o6e150LGFa0svufgodn6jeJu0Q@mail.gmail.com> <1469387555.84197.48.camel@freebsd.org> <20160809083654.25d2ac67@freyja.zeit4.iv.bundesimmobilien.de> <57A9DA8F.5000603@denninger.net>

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 08:28:47AM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

> On 8/9/2016 01:36, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:12:35 -0600
> > Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> To reiterate:  we do not have a driver for TI 5052 chips.
> >>
> >> It's not much like other usb-serial chips.  In fact it's not strictly a
> >> usb-serial chip, it's a multifunction chip that includes a software
> >> -controllable usb hub, 2 serial ports, gpio, an i2c bus master, an MCU
> >> interface, a multichannel DMA controller, and apparently even has the
> >> ability to download your own 8052-compatible microcontroller code into
> >> the 5052 and have it take over from the built-in rom code.
> >>
> >> It would be reasonable enough to write a driver that initially
> >> supported only the uart part of the chip.
> >>
> >> -- Ian
> > Now, that I know that I can not use any of our plenty Digi Watchport/T sensors
> > with FreeBSD, I'm looking for a cheap alternative of sensor, prefereably being
> > capable of taking temperature and humidity and being accessed as easy as a
> > serial terminal - as the Digi Watchport/T does with Linux.
> >
> > I still have a "resistance" changing the OS of our infrastructure to Linux due
> > to ZFS, but the very good support of drivers with the Linux OS is tempting ...
>
> Does hardware platform matter?  If not a very inexpensive alternative
> set is found on Adafruit's site for the Raspberry Pi and FreeBSD can
> easily talk to either some of the options directly or a cheap ($10)
> 4-channel 12-bit analog board.  I am using this approach with the Pi2 as
> a pool controller with multiple temperature inputs and drive (through a
> relay board) to handle both the VFD-controlled pump motor and valves,
> plus spa heater.

If you go down that path the DS 18B20 is a digital temperature probe
that can be tied to the GPIO pins on a PI and read from python
quite easily.  Don't think it does humidity, but as the temp. probes
have a hardware address you can hook multiple up to the same GPIO pin.

If you want humidity also then there is the DHT22 or DHT11, both
of which can be tied to the PI but need a GPIO pin per sensor.  I
haven't tried either of them personally.

Regards,

Gary