Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 22:20:20 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Malek <dan@westford.ccur.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More 2.1 installation problems

>The system normally runs with an Adaptec 284x SCSI interface and a 1.0 Gbyte
>SCSI-2 disk.  I have tried different disks and controllers, including IDE
>disks and controller.  Same result.  Since I must have loaded the software
>fifty times, I have noticed about one-half of the time the installation
>fails with file system write errors (i.e. -1 returned to cpio) while
>trying to uncompress and install the software.
>
>I am at wits end.  Any information will be helpful.

It sounds very much like you have a cache coherency problem on your
motherboard.  This means that dma transactions to the 284X card in your
machine don't invalidate any cache lines that reference memory that is
modified by the dma, so you get inconsistent data.  Try installing with
your internal and external caches disabled in the BIOS and see if you
can reproduce the problem.

My other guess is that you are running into a bug in the aic7xxx driver.
You may want to try installing 2.1-stable which has a much improved aic7xxx
driver.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations