Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:49:48 +0300
From:      Oleg Nauman <oleg.nauman@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE 4 hangs at splash screen when using KMS enabled 10-CURRENT

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Erich Dollansky
<erich@alogreentechnologies.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday, June 29, 2012 07:47:59 PM Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>> Nikolay Tychina <niktychina@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I freshly built x11/xorg and x11/kde4 on FreeBSD 10-CURRENT and was
>> > ready to use it with new Intel driver, but
>> > after I kldloaded i915kms.ko and started X, KDE just hung up at its
>> > splash screen after displaying its logo (last icon). Then screen got
>> > blank with only a movable mouse cursor on it.
>> > Any ideas?
>>
>> Do other window managers work? Is anything useful reported on the
>> console (in case you use startx and log the output of startkde4
>> somewhere)?
>
> KDE started one time for me without problems.

It is 100% reproducable on my 9-STABLE desktop machine:

The steps to reproduce:
a) rm -rf .kde4 ( mv .kde4 .. )
b) start KDE4 ( without KDE settings touch )
c) shutdown KDE ( and reboot your workstation due to current reality )
d) start KDE4 again ( it hangs )

FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE r238090

My GPU is:

intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G33

 intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
 intel(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: i915
 intel(0): Allocated new frame buffer 1280x1024 stride 8192, tiled
 UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
         solid
         copy
         composite (RENDER acceleration)
         put_image
         get_image
intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 Enabled

kldstat output:

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   32 0xc0400000 96e0d8   kernel
 2    1 0xc0d6f000 68fc     cuse4bsd.ko
 3    1 0xc7e24000 3000     umodem.ko
 4    1 0xc7e27000 4000     ucom.ko
 5    1 0xc7e34000 6000     umass.ko
 6    1 0xc7e2c000 4000     ums.ko
 7    1 0xc890a000 64000    i915kms.ko
 8    1 0xc896e000 2e000    drm2.ko

XOrg intel port driver version:
xf86-video-intel-2.19.0 from XOrg devel trunk provided by miwi
XOrg port version:
xorg-7.5.2

built with WITH_NEW_XORG=YES

I do not load i915kms.ko and drm2.ko manually though - they are loaded
by intel video driver

At Monday I will try to collect procstat or ktrace output for hanging
plasma-desktop