Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:34:52 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@stop.mail-abuse.org>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: U1E and U2 are supported system?

At 11:55 PM -0400 2004-08-28, Ken Smith wrote:

>  Despite what the page had said before I think "U1E" is actually a
>  common name for one of two different versions of the Ultra-1 machines.

	I've been looking at the hardware specs for the U2 at
<http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U2/spec.html>, and
comparing the pages at
<http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Ultra_1/Ultra_1.html>;
and
<http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Ultra_1E/Ultra_1E.html>.
I didn't find a page for the U2E, however.

	However, looking at these pages, it's not obvious to me what the
precise hardware differences are between the different sub-models.

>  The two are significantly different, and we actually do not support
>  the "U1".  The normal U1 has a Lance Ethernet controller chip for
>  its on-board interface and has a "narrow" SCSI interface connector
>  coming out its back.  I don't think we have a Lance Ethernet driver
>  at all, and that machine's SCSI controller is different enough from
>  the U1E's controller that it doesn't work.  I think. :-)  The U1E
>  has a HME onboard ethernet controller and a wide SCSI connector
>  coming out the back.

	The Lance Ethernet chip should be easy enough to support.  If we
don't have it, I'm sure NetBSD and OpenBSD do -- how hard would it be
to port them?

	I'm more concerned about the SCSI controller, however.  Does
anyone have any ideas which specific controllers are included with
which machines, and how they are different?

	Speaking only for myself, I'd like to do what I can to try to
help FreeBSD/SPARC64 support all the UltraSPARC machines, including
all variants of U1, U2, etc....

--
Brad Knowles, <brad@stop.mail-abuse.org>

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

   SAGE member since 1995.  See <http://www.sage.org/>; for more info.