Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2012 16:06:16 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Dave Robison <david.robison@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: Custom FreeBSD usb memstick

Slowly working my way to HEAD. 9.0-R is the latest I've done (and still wai=
ting patiently for 9.1-R).

Druid is unique in that you can create a custom USB memstick that also can =
be burned to CD or DVD (with zero modifications).

When getting started, keep in mind that you can do these steps on Mac OS X,=
 Linux, Cygwin, and (uh) FreeBSD :)

1. Find/Browse the code here=85

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druidbsd/

2. Get the code=85

In Tarball form (22.6MB):

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druidbsd/?view=
=3Dtar

or Instructions on how to download with CVS:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/develop

NOTE: When logging in anonymously, simply press ENTER when prompted for a p=
assword
NOTE: Use a modulename of druidbsd/druidbsd when checking out the code
NOTE: Downloaded module measures about 30MB in size

3. Execute the following:

cd druidbsd
./configure

NOTE: If you went the CVS route, the first command is instead: cd druidbsd/=
druidbsd

4. Dependency checks:

In the output of "configure" from step 3 above (which is rather small), mak=
e sure no commands have been mapped "/bin/false" (except for "false" itself=
, naturally).

Basically, you'll need GNU make, mkisofs, and a few basic shell utilities.

5. [Optional] Customize:

If you want to customize the kernel that is used, it's in "mdroot/kernels/"

NOTE: If you change the name of the kernel, edit the file "mdroot/boot/menu=
.rc" (kernel paths are at the top)
NOTE: You can load multiple kernels if you want (and configure the menu to =
display them for selection)

If you want to customize the boot menu, that's in "mdroot/boot/menu.rc"

If you want to add kernel modules, those go into "mdroot/boot/modules/"

If you want to customize the mfsroot, there's a whole framework for that in=
 "dep/freebsd/mfsroot/" (however, you'll need a FreeBSD host to customize t=
hat portion).

If you want to simply add new commands to DruidBSD, dump new binaries into =
"src/freebsd/rescue/"

NOTE: There's a corresponding "src/freebsd/rescue/lib/" for you to dump lib=
rary dependencies.

If you want to add other miscellaneous files, just dump them into "src/free=
bsd/".

6. Produce an ISO for mastering to USB stick:

make

NOTE: Sorry, this has to be GNU make (so on FreeBSD, say "gmake" instead).
NOTE: This produces the ISO file (image) of your custom FreeBSD memstick

7. Play

Use the instructions here to get your ISO onto physical media:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/src/tool=
s/

NOTE: Start with "README"

NOTE: There are many methods for many operating systems documented and even=
 some tools for download (such as a Win32 GUI tool for imaging the ISO onto=
 USB stick).

Remember, that ISO can be burned to optical media _and_ imaged to USB stick=
 (or any hard disk for that matter) without changing anything about the ISO=
 (that's the nature of the DRUID architecture).

I demonstrated much of this at the last DevSummit, but it's not part of Fre=
eBSD. If you have any questions, let me know.
--=20
Devin

On Nov 8, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Robison, Dave wrote:

> Druid is Devin's baby so I will CC him
>=20
> I do not think he has done HEAD on druid yet... but it's not a bad idea.
>=20
>=20
> Dave
>=20
>=20
> On 11/08/2012 15:35, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Robison, Dave
>> <david.robison@fisglobal.com> wrote:
>>> If you're just looking for a release on memstick, check out druidbsd
>>>=20
>>> http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/
>>>=20
>>> If you're doing it to learn the process, I'm sure you can learn a few
>>> things from druidbsd anyway...
>>>=20
>>> Enjoy
>>>=20
>>> Dave
>>=20
>> Thank you Dave,
>>=20
>> do you build a version of DruidBSD based on HEAD?
>>=20
>> im really trying to learn the process, and id like to know how to
>> alter the install image size.. then ill start with customization from
>> there.
>>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Dave Robison
> Sales Solution Architect II
> FIS Banking Solutions
> 510/621-2089 (w)
> 530/518-5194 (c)
> 510/621-2020 (f)
> daver@vicor.com
> david.robison@fisglobal.com

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.