Date:      Wed, 9 May 2012 03:34:23 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1336957458.358d38@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error: libm.so.4 needed by libspeex may conflict w libm.so.5

On Tue, 8 May 2012 21:04:18 -0400, David Banning wrote:
> If it's libspeex / libm.so.4 that is causing the error (thats what it looks like to me)
> I wonder how to find out what libspeex is being used for - or for that matter what
> libm.so.4 is needed for.

I see you start exploring the joy of "front page decisions based
upon information provided exactly there". :-)

Speex is a codec intended for speech compression (and libspeex is
its corresponding library implementation), and libm is the math
library of your FreeBSD system (OS, not a port).

However, I have mplayer 1.0.r20110329_3 installed here on FreeBSD
8.2-STABLE (i386), using speex 1.2.r1_3,1. If you have problems
installing it, and you know you're not going to need it, just do
a "make config" in the mplayer port's directory and deselect "SPEEX"
option, then it shouldn't be built.

Is your ports tree up to date? Maybe there's a newer version of
speex or mplayer that will happily work with the system's libm v5?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany