Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2019 08:25:09 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Balanga Bar <balanga.bar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loaderdev

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 09:30 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> How does uBoot know how to load ubldr? Is this specific to a particular
> version of uBoot? I'm using a customised uBoot which lets me boot OpenWrt,
> Debian, Arch Linux or FreeBSD depending on the contents of a USB stick.
>
> Currently I have a /boot/uEnv.txt file on a FAT partition which includes
>
> bootfile=ubldr
>
> Will I no longer need a FAT partition?
>
> If loaderdev is set to disk, then where is ubldr loaded from since, AFAIK,
> uBoot can only read FAT or EXT3 partitions?

The convention for freebsd mailing lists is to bottom-post replies,
mixed top and bottom posting makes for unreadable threads.

The loaderdev variable is not used by uboot at all, it is read from the
uboot environment by ubldr.  Basically, loaderdev just gives you a way
to control where ubldr finds the kernel by setting a uboot env var
(interactively or via uenv.txt).

You arrange to have uboot load ubldr in whatever way you're currently
doing, so you will still need a FAT partition, because uboot can't read
UFS filesystems.

-- Ian