Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:45:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, kim@tinker.com, freebsd-platforms@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel layout reshuffle (Was: Re: FAQ?)

> > > http://www.netbsd.org/ would be a better place to start.  If you're
> > > talking about porting FreeBSD _to_ the PPC, then there's a gang of mad
> > > platform porters that are starting to think about what has to be done
> > > to make FreeBSD platform-friendly.
> >
> > We already know what needs to be done.  The question is how long will
> > we wait for the source tree reorganization to be done by those with
> > commit privs?  No one wants to run sed scripts to move stuff around,
> > and CVS notably lacks the feature.
>
> We do?  I certainly haven't seen any serious discussion of this, and if
> you mean "we should mimic NetBSD" then I for one am going to object
> _strenuously_.

FreeBSD needs to let Richard Wackerbarth's ideas be implemented,
even if Richard isn't the person who does it.  Among other things.

It would be nice if the structure of the source tree did not
actively oppose porting to other platforms.  For instance, it would
be nice to have:

o	A build system that will work on all platforms
o	Install tools that will work the same on all
	platforms.
o	Kernel dependent components built along with kernel
o	SMP treated as if it were an architecture
o	Better seperation of bus code into x86 dependent and
	indepedent pieces
o	Better seperation of all code
o	Seperation of PCI code probe ordering so that on the
	DEC Alpha, where the ISA is bridged off the PCI instead
	of the other way around

Etc.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org