Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:08:50 +0300
From:      Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@over.ru>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behaviour of loaded system

Hello!

I've observed a VERY strange behaviour of a moderately-to-heavy loaded
system (load average about 5.7 on a 2xPII-400 with 512Mb of RAM):

(I have no access to the box right now, and I'm giving only general details;
however, I'll be able to produce more details next morning)

About 200-300 processes (230-280, something always creates and dies), some
swapping (I recall 36% right now), and the most strange thing: always some
(4-14M) of free RAM, and about 100 pageins per second. Most of processes are
modperl'ed Apaches and self-written POP3 readers.

I have no good understanding of such behaviour. Unfortunately I cannot find
my "UNIX Internals: The New Frontier" for several days, so I'm really
limited on books. Maybe some kind soul will tell me how can system behave
that way?

Alex.