Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:31:59 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Brian writes:

> Surely if it fails under both FreeBSD
> and Windows there's a very strong suggestion
> that it's hardware problem, don't you think?

No.  Two entirely different types of hardware.  The Windows machine has an
internal PCMCIA reader.  The FreeBSD machine has an external USB CF reader.
There is practically nothing common about the hardware across the two
machines: they have different motherboards, processors, memory modules,
disks, disk interfaces, monitors, video cards, and so on.  Therefore the old
standby of "it must be hardware" won't work.

> FWIW, the easiest way to get things off of
> compactflash card is to use a PCMCIA adaptor.

That's what I do on the Windows machine.  However, the software I used to
use--a product that came from SystemSoft with the original internal PCMCIA
drive--stopped working after I installed ADSL, because of an IRQ conflict,
and I could not explicitly set IRQs for the SystemSoft module.  So I
upgraded to a new version of the SystemSoft software that was supposed to
allow this, and it did--but it started causing blue screens and stalling of
the system regularly, so I had to abandon it.

All I really want is to be able to read and write Compact Flash
cards--only--with this little USB reader, and I'd like to be able to do that
without stalling the system or corrupting the filesystems.  But it seems
that even "reliable" FreeBSD cannot do that.